Graphic designers add a special unique dimension to SoJo:
- An eye for what really looks good. Let's be honest; we see things whole and then look at the details. No one is going to read great content without liking the way the website they're browsing around looks terrible, unless they're already looking for the content. However, as Amir from Mockups to Launch put it in class on Wednesday*, great content will get someone to look at it even if they weren't looking for it. And a pretty website never hurts.
- The talent to translate your requests into pictures. They're able to take what you're looking for when you make a verbal or written request and then turn it into pretty visual mock-ups.
- The ability to make it happen. And they're also able to use the tools at their disposal to then implement it once you're done giving them feedback... again and again and again. Speaking of which...
- The professionalism to take feedback and direction. We've given Kaitlin tons of feedback and often changed our minds on different things we wanted her to do. I'll admit, we must've said this one many times: "Maybe we should do it this way, even though we told you not to do that before". We've done this many many many times on the newsletter now.
- When in-house, understanding your products/services and owning their place in making it happen. Kaitlin understood how her work impacted SoJo and so she knew that she would be involved in a variety of projects since frankly, she had the most expertise in this area. And it didn't hurt that she also knew how to code a little bit, which often helped too.
- Knowing the possibilities out there. Even when we knew what we wanted, she often could help us want more - like the descriptions that pop up on the right when you hover over the categories on the Knowledge Hub page.
Of course, these are only some of the benefits to having a web and graphic designer around. Now Kaitlin will be going back to school so we'll need another volunteer we'd like to bring on board as a designer. We've become a little spoiled with having her around :)
If you're interested in joining us, check out the posting on our site for the web and graphic designer position. Know a friend instead who'd want to talk to us. Pass it along to them too!
*I'll be blogging about this experience soon too so stay tuned!